Thursday, December 1, 2016

George Sprott (1894-1975) with a Bookplate Signed by Seth

I don't really like signed bookplates. No matter how well done, they're evidence that a book's author never came into contact with the particular copy of the book you're looking at. Still, while browsing the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund's table at the 2016 MoCCA Arts Festival, I came across several copies of George Sprott (1894-1975), Seth's 2009 graphic novel. In each, the artist had signed a bookplate and provided a two-tone drawing of the title character. Who was I to say no? I needed a third copy of the oversized book anyway....

Seth, George Sprott (1894-1975), 2009

CBLDF bookplate with an original drawing of George Sprott signed Seth, 2011


CBLDF bookplate with an original drawing of George Sprott signed Seth, 2011



Note:  This concludes my series on the books I purchased in April at the MoCCA Arts Festival, still the closest thing to a comics convention I have attended. I was there only for about two hours, far less than the time it took to write the seven blog posts chronicling my take.

I have followed my own interests and inclinations, hunting down artists primarily over age fifty whose work appears once in a while in the New Yorker. This makes perfect sense for me, but it doesn't begin to hint at the youthful energy and vitality present throughout the venue. Each year's MoCCA Fest is full of talented, independent comic art practitioners already producing exciting art and destined to make many stunning contributions down the road.


Attempted Bloggery's quick links:

Seth

02032k

No comments:

Post a Comment